Thursday, January 22, 2009

Almost Vacation Time

We are one day from leaving on the first leg of our vacation journey - the trip to Hastings to pick up Grandma Mary. Abby and I are ready to go, we even packed up Abby's diaper/toy bag for the airplane today. Now we just have to get her Dad equally ready to go and see if there is room for all of our stuff in two suitcases. We are counting down the hours.

We went last night to look at the Presbyterian parsonage and another house that we almost made an offer on last spring (which I had never seen). House hunting is such an interesting process. The house we almost offered on is a classic 70's house, right down to the colored bathroom fixtures and kelly green carpet (everywhere). I think men and women must have very different eyes when it comes looking at the functionality of a space. For example, in the 70's house Steve was all for the "master suite" since it had a master bathroom connected to it. One thing he didn't take into account was the fact that our bed is probably almost as big as the room (apparently king sized beds weren't too popular when the home was designed). So anyway, we checked out those two homes and now we have some thinking to do about our long term plans and goals. But the parsonage was lovely, well kept, and would earn the Aunt Carol two thumbs up for being a very cool, old home. I'd say we really liked it (Steve liked it, I loved it, so that combines to really liked it right??)

Abby's been broadening her food horizons slowly. We finally got her to start eating chopped fruit this week. She still will not eat any vegetables except green beans and chopped up sweet potato, but she will eat the baby food varieties, so we are keeping her diet fairly balanced. She really, really loves drinking yogurt smoothies using big girl straws. She especially likes it when I let her hold the yogurt bottle. She is growing up way, way to fast!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's funny about the green carpet! My house was kinda the equivalent when I bought it there was a mint green paint EVERYWHERE! The carpet was a mustard yellow and so old is came apart when you vacuumed it. And there was Ivy on the kitchen walls!
Good luck with the house decision, and have fun on vacation!

Wade&Sarah said...

Our house was right out of the 70's and just this last week the last of the "green" carpet disappeared horray!!! now it has soft neutral colors that go with anything!! What were they thinking back then :)Love the new pictures of big girl Abby!

Grandma Jennie said...

Jen, we went to the web site and looked at the Manse. It was really inviting, but think about the laundry in the basement and the living in the upstairs.....I'm old, so I look at all those stairs with a different eye than I used to.

Grandma Jennie said...

Note to Sarah, Back then, honey they were thinking GREEN was cool!!
They were used to wood, not soft carpet............. UM GG