We tried a new beach on Tuesday and it is someplace we probably will avoid for many years (and also made me rethink my plan to sell our house and buy a house on the Lower Saint Marys River in about 10 years). We are pretty well used to seeing freighters (huge boats) at the beach, since you can't really visit a beach around here without catching a peek at a boat. So we didn't think twice about throwing our kids into the water where big boats might be passing. And we did read the warning signs about strong currents and all. We even made the kids get a good 20 or 25 feet from where the water line was. But that apparently wasn't far enough. I was at least 20 feet on shore, but when the boat wake came I was mid-thigh deep in a very strong current. Luckily I was holding Olivia and had a good grip on Abby. Abby's friend Huron was on the bank, about 25 feet inland, and he ended up washed away. A quick thinking stranger plucked him up, but not before a big scare. So ended our first (and probably last) trip to 4 Mile Beach.
1 comment:
Jen, i am having trouble commenting on your blog, so if I don't write a comment right away, forgive me. I do read, and love the pictures!! Love Grandma Jennie
Post a Comment